Sunday, August 31, 2008

How to Write a Popular How-to Article

If you're writing how-to articles for income, the popularity of an article can play a major role in the number of hits you receive on-line or the chances of it being accepted for print. While I personally don't make popularity the only reason I write an article, I don't ignore it either. Here are some ideas to consider that I've found helpful.

1) First of all, I think writing how-to articles is very similar to inventing a new product in the aspect of the popular saying, "See a need, fill a need."

Inspiration for how-to articles is unlimited because there are many people out there who want solutions to problems or want to learn something new.

2) Keep your titles simple for articles you want to appeal to a mass number of people, especially if your topic is fairly general.

A long title won't impress people unless it's addressing a specific problem or topic, where you're likely going to have a smaller audience. (This isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially if little has been written on the topic). What I've noticed however is when I change a long title to something more simplified, I get better results as far as hits.

3) Do a little "homework" and thinking before you begin writing.

Be observant of the world around you. I pay attention to what people are talking about and what topics are popular in larger works such as recent nonfiction book best-sellers. I read a lot as well, and sometimes an article comes from having a different viewpoint or approach to the same topic or problem. I keep notebooks at home, in my car, and at work so when an idea hits me I won't forget it.

More Tips:
  • Another great thing about writing how-to articles is that you can learn something new as well. I know since I've first started writing articles that I've learned a lot of new things in the process of researching topic ideas. From an income standpoint, you're getting paid to educate yourself and help other people! That's a very fun combination.
  • Don't try to write on topics that personally aren't interesting to you. I've tried that before, and the quality of your article suffers no matter how hard you try to force it. With articles, it's not totally "Write what you know" but "Write what you want to know."

No comments: